Saturday, September 14, 2013

Advice to Couples From a Widow

I used to fantasize sometimes about what it would be like if Dane and I got a divorce. I thought that might just be the best deal ever; I still get my fabulous kid, but I also get a break from her and get some time where I wouldn’t have to care for anyone but myself. I wouldn’t have to rely on someone who I felt was unreliable. I wouldn’t have to share decision-making or, more often, make all of the important decisions by myself.

And then Dane was killed in a car accident.

In the past seven months, I have had to re-evaluate everything I thought I knew about our marriage and my part in it. In listening to friends talk about their partners, and reflecting on what I have lost, I offer up these pieces of advice for long-term, committed relationships:

Stop complaining about each other. Seriously. Most of what people complain about (not fixing something, or not doing enough at home, or not being “there” for them) is patently false and has more to do with control or the other person not getting things done in the appropriate time frame (like “now” instead of after the game). It is one thing to blow off steam to a friend, and I am more than willing to listen, but it is quite another to have a standard litany of complaints about your partner that becomes a mantra. The only person you can change is you. Full stop. There is really no way around that simple fact.  If it’s that bad, leave. If you can step away and realize it’s not, change yourself, or build a bridge and get over it.

Have more sex. Lots more sex. Being intimate with someone you love should not be a chore, and chances are pretty good that, male or female, if you have been married for longer than a year, or less if you have kids, you are not having enough sex. I mean quickies. I mean leisurely, day-long, laying around in bed sex, with foreplay and everything, the kind where you are in bed for so long that the shadows change on your bodies over the course of the day. I mean whatever happens in the middle. All of it. Whatever amount of sex you are having (see stats on averages here), go ahead and at least double that.

Display more affection in general. A friend of mine reminded me of the time when Dane bounded up the bleachers at a softball game to give me a kiss, then bounded off to do whatever it was he was on the way to do. Of my married friends, I have only seen two couples kiss. Be loving towards your partner. Demonstrate affection. Put your hands on them. You would miss that intimate connection if it were gone, and don't kid yourself: it is not the same as shaking a colleague’s hand or a hug from your kids. Touch is essential for human beings.

Recognize what your partner does for you, not what they don’t do for you. This is a big one. I used to complain about how the sky would fall if I weren’t there to hold it up; early in our relationship, I went on strike for a week, just to prove a point. This is not about unequal distribution of work; this is about showing gratitude and being appreciative of what your partner does. In a classic tale of too little, too late, I have an overwhelming feeling of gratitude for all of the things Dane used to do, from unclogging drains to setting up printers and running virus scans to dealing with all things car-related to pressure washing to gutter cleaning and much, much more. Some of these things happened as if by magic; the car appeared with new oil, or the blinds suddenly were hung in the living room.

I have an overwhelming feeling of gratitude for Dane in general. He did little things that I was only just beginning to recognize in the months before he was killed, like always giving me the first bite of his ice cream when I said I didn’t want any and he sat down next to me with a delicious-looking bowl. He always gave me the mail to read first, the best seat at the movies and moved off “my spot” on the couch when I asked. Complaining about socks on the floor or not scrubbing a toilet seems minor when I reflect on his obvious desire for me to be comfortable and happy.

Don’t get complacent. About anything. I am not talking about shaving your legs or still getting fancy for your partner, although that’s nice to remember to do. Don’t stop learning or doing because you have a partner who does these things for you. I used to always say that I know how to change the oil in the car, but I chose not to because Dane would do it, and he liked it. Same goes for unclogging the drain (took me several weeks to figure this out), setting up a wireless printer, and helping our kid finish building her tiny house. I have been frustrated and challenged on top of grieving because I got lazy and stopped learning, and now that I have to be two parents with two skill sets, I am regretting the times I just pawned specific chores off on Dane. I just assumed that he would always take care of it, division of labor and all that, but while I was dividing the labor, I lost my own ability in certain areas. This looks suspiciously like taking him for granted, an action for which I criticized him in the past (see above, the week on strike).

Don’t forget why you fell in love in the first place. When I met Dane, he was a commercial fisherman in Alaska; we had one month together before he got back on the boat and was gone for two months. Our love story unfolded in letters, and I read them a couple months ago when I was going through some of his things. He saved every letter I wrote to him, and I got to read all of the reasons why I fell in love, in my own words, and his responses to me. Ours was not a perfect relationship by any stretch of the imagination, but in our letters to each other was a deep and abiding commitment to the union. Don’t ever let that fade; remind yourself often of all of the reasons why you and your partner belong together. Dig deep if you have to, but dig.

Finally, treat them like the friend they are. Dane was a constant source of unflagging support in every endeavor. He never said no, never took someone else’s side. He was my party post-mortem go-to, my behind-the-scenes support.  There has never been another person in my life who was so unfailingly supportive regardless of the endeavor. I can’t name one thing I will miss the most about Dane, but this is definitely up there. You can’t get this kind of unconditional love and support just anywhere; try as they might, even parents aren’t 100% on this one. If you have this in your relationship, cherish it as the pure gift that it is, and try very hard to give the same in return.

Dane and I had a stormy relationship at times; we fought, we made up, we had times when things were so rocky that we considered separating. In short, we were much like many other couples in that life and stress and trouble got in the way and made life together sometimes frankly miserable. At the root, though, was a commitment to each other that I am only beginning to recognize and appreciate fully now. Most advice focuses on the superficial aspects (making an effort in how you dress, having separate hobbies, etc), but I say dig deep and the other stuff won’t matter as much. In good times and bad, it is the depth of the connection that will support and sustain your relationship. Recognize it, nourish and appreciate what you have every day. Don’t wait.


 

 

 

 

14 comments:

  1. If no one has said it lately, you are such a beautiful and dynamic person Suzannah. Thank you for blessing us with these words. I recognize myself in a few of them and even recognize some things we ARE doing right. HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! But overall, relationships are organic; live. They grow, the change, they fold in, and that - as quickly - unfold. But they are connections that deserve 100% effort all the time and I thank you for reminding me to nourish and appreciate what I have in my amazing wife.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Crystal have a beautiful union; it was funny that whenever I had a moment alone with either of you, the other one sang your praises. I was thinking a lot of your bond after I left. It is truly exceptional.

      Delete
    2. We had to wait a long time to find each other and because of that wait it was so real; a palpable love. We started out like we knew we could hold out and because of that we fall deeper for each other each day. Thank you for your love and support of our family.

      Delete
  2. This is hands down the most useful reminder and advise ever on relationships. It is hard, it is maddening, and even exhausting. The truth you speak about appreciating and nourishing it is something that I will really take to heart. Thank you for this wisdom. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had known sooner. I hope whomever reads this takes something good away from it.

      Delete
  3. Such sage advice. Thank you for reminding me to invest in and enjoy every moment of being with my wife.

    Much love and cheers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your relationship with Susan is inspirational. <3

      Delete
  4. I was reading along, saying yes, yes, yes, and then you told about when you and Dane met. Oh, my!! I am 62 years old. My husband and I have been married for 28 years. I met him on an Alaska State ferry. He was a commercial fisherman (!). I was traveling alone (in winter) and planning to camp out on the ferry - go to the end of the line and back, then fly home to Minneapolis from Prince Rupert, BC.

    Instead, I got off the ferry, with him, in Wrangell (second stop), rearranged my trip, and returned to Minneapolis from Wrangell. I spent 6 days there.

    Then we wrote letters (!). For five weeks, we each wrote every day. I have all the letters still. We had both been married twice before, so we thought we should be cautious. Haha! We were married in less than three months, but those letters were really the way we got to know each other.

    We have had and still have a great life. I am writing this from our sailboat in Craig, Alaska. He is at work. He is 70 years old, and thought he would join the Teamsters Union and work on a road project this summer, after being retired for 6 years. One of our daughters is expecting grandchild number 11 any day now. Oh. And we think this time the marriage is going to work out :-)

    Thank you for your excellent and heartfelt advice. What you say is true, and we have been proving it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry for your devastating loss! I appreciate you baring your soul and sharing your words. I will take them to heart!!!

    We've been married for 27 years. Like you there are things that I haven't learned to do, and the same with the hubby. We really need to rectify that. I need to write down the passwords to our online banking and show him how to pay bills.... And he need to show me how to work the entertainment center....

    We don't have children. Well, not skin kids. We have Danes, Great Danes! Your husband's name just seemed to jump off the screen to me. So we have something in common we both love Dane! LOL!

    God bless you! Thank you again for your words.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I fear I take for granted many of the best things in my life - especially after this hectic season. I am glad to have found this post and hear these reminders. Thank you for writing it, I hope you are well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading it and responding. I am glad it was meaningful for you. Happy new year, right? A chance to do better!!

      Delete
    2. Yes! Every day is an opportunity for me to do better or so I try!

      Delete
  7. This is beautiful. Thank you. I will take your lessons to heart. I know they were hard learned. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading. I am grateful that I learned these things and only wish I had known them earlier. <3

      Delete